TikTok is well known for being the fastest growing social media platform of all time, with over 689 million users worldwide (as of January 2021). Comparing this to other social media platforms, Instagram took 6 years from its launch to reach the same number of monthly users that TikTok achieved in under 3 years and Facebook took over 4 years.
Looking at the growth of TikTok in such a short period of time, it is easy to see how this platform has many possibilities.
What is TikTok?
Videos have been a popular marketing and social media trend for many years now and isn’t showing signs of slowing down. TikTok has used this to its advantage. TikTok is a solely video-based platform made up on short-form videos which show in a continuous feed for users to easily scroll through.
TikTok allows users to edit and add music to video clips and it started out being popular for dance and lip sync videos amongst teens. Fast forward to this year, TikTok has come a long way. With a much wider audience and more varied content which often reaches over night viral success.
How Does TikTok Work?
TikTok works through Hashtags, so there is no need to follow anyone to see content relevant to you and it is easy to grow as a new account. TikTok shows content, which it deems relevant and interesting to each user, based on signals picked up by its algorithm.
Unlike Instagram & Facebook, TikTok considers the interactions on an individual video rather an account as a whole and because of this, even the smallest accounts can reach success with the right content.
Who Uses TikTok?
TikTok is now available in more than 200 countries and 50 countries have been added to TikTok’s service map in the past year so it has a large reach and a lot of possibilities for businesses.
TikTok has a young audience, with roughly 50% being under the age of 34 and 32.5% aged between 10 and 19. Although this seems young, it leaves around 60% of users from the Millennial, GenX and even Baby Boomer generations and it has been found that users don't leave the app as they get older.
TikTok’s Benefits For Brands
As TikTok continues to grow, it makes us wonder if it is beneficial to brands.
With the number of daily users and evidence that the age range of its audience is expanding, TikTok has some great benefits:
- Large and growing audience- TikTok has over 689 million users worldwide and is growing at a great rate so there is a potential to expand your reach.
- International audience- If you're wanting to reach an international audience, TikTok is a great option for your brand with the app now available in over 200 countries.
- Video marketing is still on the rise- With video marketing being a priority, TikTok is another handy way to make the most of this.
- Easily connect with your audience- It is really easy to connect with your audience through TioKTok Business. They have an option when creating ads,. to create a 'Hashtag Challenge'. This encourages users to recreate or recreate content using your own hashtag, in turn increasing your brand's engagement.
- Low competition- With TikTok still being in the early phases of paid ads, the market isn't yet saturated meaning higher reach and engagement and lower CPM.
- High engagement rates and time spent on the app.
Paid Ads On TikTok
As TikTok is quite a new app, it isn’t yet completely saturated with advertisements. However, it has many benefits for any business wanting to reach a diverse audience.
TikTok has a few options for advertising on their platform including; feed ads, top view ads and more.
Below we have included a few examples of how we have recently used TikTok feed ads for some of our brands.
To conclude, if you’re a business we believe TikTok should be on your radar and not overlooked.